There are those who call me…. T-M!

This image is the property of whoever owns it (not me!). No infringement is intended.

Now that the mandatory Monty Python quote has been made, here is the second monster I’ve scratch-built.

Having been a Lurker on the DM’s Craft forums for quite a while now, I’ve had the privilege of seeing some pretty awesome scratch-built monsters for Dungeons and Dragons. One of which was a monster called a Roper.

Now here is the End Result of the Forum Post/Tutorial that inspired me to create my own Roper:

This image is property of Jason/mythzerous. No infringement is intended.

An iconic D&D Monster, the Roper is one of those nasty things you meet underground and is the textbook definition of being evil for evil’s sake. Being completely without any sense of mercy or compassion, this sadistic horror enjoys inflicting pain just because he can.
Highly Dangerous. Kill on Sight.

A link to the tutorial on how this monstrosity was made can be found here:

http://dmscraft.proboards.com/thread/1514/classic-monster-roper-tutorial-image

And since you are reading through Jason’s tutorial, you should also take a few minutes to watch the Fungeon Master Dave’s video on how he created his Roper:

Now with lots of inspiration on how to create this particular Tentacle Monster (TM, or Tim – get the joke now?) and feeling bolstered by the success of Scaldara, I just had to take a crack at making Tim.

Having tried using a toilet paper roll and failing horribly, I wound up using a plain old piece of cardstock rolled into a cone and hotgluing. I then used a box-cutting knife to cut the mouth and an x for the eye-socket. I bent him backwards at the mouth cut and used another piece of cardstock and hot-glued himinto the pose you see below.



Blunt Toothpick ends were glued into place for the teeth (because let’s face it – pointy toothpick teeth have been done to death and I think these blunt and jagged babies would hurt way more). A wooden bead was inserted and glued into the eyesocket. The arms were made from the plastic-coated stems from artificial flowers and inserted into holes I punched out with an Exact-o knife and Phillips screwdriver.

The base is a 2inch square of cardstock (REALLY should have used a Juice-bottle-cap since it curled!). The texturing was initially hot glue, but I didn’t like the look and went over it in Flexible Modeling Paste (same stuff I used to create the fire for Scaldara). Then I spray-painted it black:


Followed by a base-coat of Pewter Gray. Please forgive the wet-paint pictures.



I then dry-brushed him with Dolphin Gray and went in and painted the eye red.




All in all, I think Tim turned out great!

Advertisements