As I’ve already stated in Winter is Coming, October is nearly upon us and that means the temperature will be dropping outside. As I’ve stated before that means no spray-painting and no priming.
As I can do the detail painting on things inside during cold weather, my new priority crafting wise is getting stuff to the point where I can black-blast (prime and base-coat with black spray-paint). Right now I’m working on Dungeon Tiles.
I’ve already shown the tiles I did up for my second set here (my first set does not bear so much as an honorable mention, as they were horrible). While these single 3-inch-square pieces are nicely detailed and can be used to make uncommon configurations, a few dozen of these does not an easy dungeon system make.
My solution? Use the tile method employed by The DMG. Here is a list of what I have black-blasted so far:
- Single-Square Corridors x3
- Single-Square descending spiral staircase x1 (not sure if I wanna keep this one as it was an experiment)
- 1 x 2 Corridors x 7
- 1×3 Corridors x 5
- Corner pieces (2×2 footprint) x 5
- T-Junction (2×3 Footprint) x2
- 4-way Intersection (3×3 footprint) x1
- 2×2 Stair Case (can be used as ascending or descending the way I used over-lapping card-stock to simulate stairs) x1
- 2×2 Single Entrance room x4 (a pair of two variations)
- 2×2 Dual Entrance Room x2 (one each of two variations)
I initially used Cardstock to cover my walls, but that was getting to be too much of a pain in the ass, so I switched to foil and hot glue. That has become far too time consuming, so I am experimenting with a Trimmer Tool to cut thin strips of paper that I will glue down to the wall sections with PVA (Elmer’s) glue.
Here is a Foiled Tile (unpainted):
And here is a WIP papered:
I’m also thinking of trying Toilet paper and glue to hide the corrugation.. but I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that. For now I will do a few tiles using the strips of paper (taken from recycled junk-mail – yay recycling!). I will let you all know how that goes later, and maybe do a review of my new Paper Trimmer!
For now I have some boxes to rip down and start turning into tiles now. Will post more tomorrow.